Mark Burrows is a member of our Cayman Islands Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring team. His practice focuses on solvent and insolvent liquidations, restructuring of distressed companies and all aspects of civil and commercial litigation generally. Mark regularly advises office holders, secured and unsecured creditors, companies and shareholders. He works closely with onshore counsel and other Harneys’ offices to deliver seamless advice in complicated cross-border matters.
Prior to joining the Cayman office Mark practiced in our Bermuda Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring team advising on a number of insolvent restructurings and high-value shareholder disputes.
Mark’s recent experience includes:
- Acting as offshore counsel to the committee of unsecured creditors in a large multinational Chapter 11 based restructuring (advising on issues of corporate governance and directors duties under Bermuda law).
- Obtaining the appointment of joint provisional liquidators to promote the restructuring of a Bermuda incorporated company with substantial operations in India.
- Acting for shareholders in relation to high-value disputes arising out of the sale of the company’s global consulting business.
- Obtaining quia timet injunctive relief in relation to a shareholders dispute so as to allow the registered holder of disputed shares to exercise voting rights over the disputed shares.
- Acting for the Bermuda provisional liquidators on the US$1.4 billion debt for equity swap restructuring of the C&J Energy group, a large supplier of services to the oil and natural gas industries in the US and Canada.