We believe in investing in our local communities, whether it's through time, money, or expertise. Each member of the Harneys team sees it as our responsibility to take responsibility for the places where we live and work. This sense of commitment drives us to be caring and forward-looking in how we contribute to our communities as an organisation.
Harneys' corporate social responsibility activities consist of four focus areas: helping the most vulnerable in our local communities, preserving our environment, promoting arts and culture, and investing in young people.
Harneys is an international law firm, but we're committed to making a positive footprint in each locale where our team members live and work. In that spirit, we regularly contribute resources that strengthen our local communities.
Highlights of our CSR activities
Helping the most vulnerable in our communities
- Helping Hurricane Recovery in the British Virgin Islands - Our offices across the globe contributed to rebuilding efforts after Hurricanes Irma and Maria, donating time and financial resources. We committed over $200,000 to local relief and civic projects in the BVI.
- Pink Dot Hong Kong - Supporting LGBT friends, family members, and colleagues at higher risk of being discriminated against, bullied and ostracised. We are proud to be the first offshore law firm to support the event, joining 37 other Hong Kong law firm sponsors.
- Colour Me Pink Run/Walk - Raising funds that provide free mammograms to women in the BVI in the fight against breast cancer.
- Crisis Square Mile Run - Supporting the UK's homeless population and helping individuals rebuild their lives.
- London Legal Walk - Raising funds for law centres and legal advice agencies in London and the South East of England.
- Ellie's Wish Foundation - Purchasing medical equipment for the paediatric unit at Peebles Hospital.
- CIBC Walk for the Cure - Raising funds to aid persons with cancer by helping with cancer research and efforts in finding a cure.
- Family Support Network - Support by donating food, household items and funds to aid their mission of helping individuals, couples and families affected by domestic violence.
- Karen Leung Foundation - To educate, vaccinate, and help to prevent gynaecological cancers. Contributions were made through Platinum sponsorship of the Sohn Hong Kong Investment Conference.
- Liberty Asia - Harneys sponsored at a silver level, and members of staff attended Liberty Asia’s Anti-Slavery Charity Gala aimed at preventing human trafficking.
- Mind Hong Kong - Improving awareness, understanding, and support of mental illnesses in Hong Kong. Harneys donated funds and participated in their Christmas jumper fundraising initiative.
- Save the Children - Raising funds to provide protection to children worldwide, as well as support with food, healthcare, and education through participation in their Christmas Jumper Day fundraiser.
- FareShare London - Providing food and support to the UK’s most significant charity fighting hunger.
- Cayman Islands Crisis Centre - Raising funds to assist with helping victims of sexual violence and discrimination. Harneys sponsored the annual Walk in Her Shoe event.
- The Cayman Islands Humane Society 5k Walk and Wag - Raising funds to support the dogs and cats taken in by this Cayman-based organisation.
- Cayman Christmas for Kids and NCVO Annual Toy Drive - Assisting foster children. Harneys donated gifts from a wish list to foster kids at the Nadine Andreas Foster Home and also donated to support the Cayman Christmas for Kids event.
Promoting arts and culture
Queen's Baton Relay - Sponsored and participated in this event that promotes friendship and unity. The baton spent two days in the BVI before continuing its journey through 71 Commonwealth nations and territories.
BVI Theatre Series - The BVI Theatre Series allows the community to see outstanding theatrical performances in the Virgin Islands through monthly screenings of the UK’s National Theatre performances.
Investing in young people
Cayman Islands Summer Internship Programme - Giving students experience across Harneys' finance, compliance, operations, legal and fiduciary practices. Managing partner.
The Cayman Islands Little League Association Youth Spring Program - Supporting youths by fostering an environment promoting leadership and character through baseball and softball.
Preserving our environment
- Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce Earth Day Clean-up - Staff and their families spent a Saturday tackling garbage on the roadsides around North Sound Estates.
- CCMI International Year of the Reef - Funding research, education, and initiatives to improve the restoration of coral reefs and overall ocean health.
- Francis Lettsome Primary School Gardening Project - Donated and participated in their school garden as a part of a more significant project spearheaded by Green VI, a non-profit intending to increase sustainable attitudes and environmental awareness.
Environment, Social and Governance
At the instigation of the Virgin Group, Harneys participates in the Carbon Disclosure Project, which supports companies in measuring and managing their risks and opportunities concerning climate change, water security and deforestation.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to us. We have joined 16 other law firms in signing up for the Race Fairness Commitment Pledge to promote racial equality within the firm and ensure everyone at Harneys has an equal chance to succeed.
In response to the BLM movement in 2020, we started firmwide calls every month called ‘Frankly Speaking’, which all employees can dial into to discuss issues surrounding topics of justice, equity, discrimination and inclusion in an open, honest and safe environment.
Our push for equality also includes gender, and we are proud to have been recognised by The Lawyer as the most diverse offshore law firm with 41 per cent female partnerships.
Harneys is committed to managing the tragic global phenomenon of forced labour, and our Anti-Slavery and Forced Labour policy outlines how we apply this to our own business and supply chain to make a positive impact on the people and communities we serve.
We have responded to the call for investing in our staff's well-being, mental health and work-life balance by appointing our own internal Wellbeing Consultant, who delivers initiatives focusing on personal resilience, productivity, leadership and career development.