The hospitality sector is a rapidly evolving and challenging market and we recognise that clients in this sector demand and deserve counsel who understand their industry.
Our hotels, hospitality and leisure sector group brings together industry leading offshore lawyers with experience in acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and co-investment vehicles, private equity, real estate funds, financings and refinancing, across our five jurisdictions of BVI, Bermuda, Cayman, Cyprus and Anguilla, as well as multiple time zones. We have a proven track record of working with leading onshore counsel, marquee brands, managers and operators, private and professional investors and other industry players on the use of offshore corporate and financing solutions and structures for international hotel and leisure developments and investments. When things run into difficulty, our litigation and insolvency team has experience in dealing with major hospitality disputes and restructurings.
In addition to our international transactional expertise, our capabilities in this sector extend to lawyers in our BVI domestic real estate team who represent the owners and operators of the leading hotels in the BVI. They boast an unrivalled understanding of the local business, real estate, licensing and regulatory laws in the British Virgin Islands.
Many of our lawyers have worked at onshore law firms at the forefront of this sector, and our understanding of what it takes to get the deal done is why many of them trust us as their local counsel.
- Advising HSBC on the refinancing of the property at The Aviator Hotel, Hampshire for Farnborough Hotel Limited.
- Advising Starwood Capital on the US$250 million purchase of a 30 per cent stake in Yotel to fund a push into Europe, North America and Asia.
- Advising the existing shareholder of a leading luxury hotel group on the disposal of majority ownership (through the issue of notes convertible into 51 per cent of its shares) to create a BVI joint venture with a potential value of more than US$1.2 billion.
- Advising Lone Star and Hudson Advisors on BVI law aspects of the £575 million sale of the Atlas Hotel Group to London & Regional Properties.
- Advising Starwood European Finance Partners Limited on a US$107 million loan for the refinancing and refurbishment of a W branded hotel in Amsterdam.