Royalties to be donated to hurricane recovery efforts in the British Virgin Islands
Harneys is pleased to announce the publication of the fourth edition of its British Virgin Islands Commercial Law, the leading legal textbook on the laws of the British Virgin Islands. The new edition is available from Sweet & Maxwell either in hard copy form or as an eBook.
General Editor Colin Riegels said: “This new edition is our magnum opus that encompasses all changes to BVI legislation since the third edition, and includes ground-breaking case law. As a reflection of that, we have welcomed a number of new lawyers to the editorial team, and they have made a fantastic contribution to this edition.”
General Editor Ian Mann commented: “The fourth edition takes a bold and confident step forward from previous editions, securing its rightful place in the pantheon of legal scholarly work. Written in plain English, dealing with the most complex matters with an easy air, it is a must have for lawyers in modern international commercial practice.
All royalties from book sales are being donated to the ongoing relief and reconstruction efforts following Hurricane Irma starting with the direct action charity, Adopt a Roof. Hurricane Irma struck the BVI in September 2017 causing widespread damage.
The new edition has been substantially updated and revised to include the latest developments in the jurisdiction, including:
- The Limited Partnership Act 2017, which “in introducing partnerships with legal personality, brings a greater degree of certainty in a regulatory capital analysis,” according to contributing editor Russell Willings
- The BVI Business Companies (Amendment) Act 2018, and associated subsidiary legislation
- The Beneficial Ownership Security Search System Act 2017
- The Micro Business Companies Act 2017
- Key recent judicial decisions, including the decisions of the Privy Council in Chen v Ng, Nilon v Royal Westminster and Staray v Cha
- Review of the new Insurance Tribunal
General Editor Ian Mann and Contributing Editor Vicky Lord with copies of the fourth edition of BVI Commercial Law.
In addition to covering new developments, the text offers comprehensive discussion of BVI company law, finance, investment funds, regulatory, insolvency, shareholder disputes, derivative actions and trusts, among other topics.
Chris Marshall, Vice President of Adopt a Roof, welcomed the much-needed donation: “Adopt a Roof are thrilled to receive a donation from Harneys. We have raised $350,000 so far and continue to rebuild roofs around Tortola. There is still a long way to go and with each small roof build costing around $25,000 we need continued support to help those desperately in need during and after this 2018 hurricane season.”