Jayson Wood is a partner in our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring practice and is head of the Cayman Islands Restructuring department.
Jayson was admitted as an attorney in Australia in 1989 and has over 25 years of specialist experience in all aspects of corporate and insolvency litigation with particular expertise in cross-border debt restructurings of distressed companies. Prior to moving offshore in 2007, he was partner-in-charge of the dispute resolution team of Minter Ellison Lawyers (Gold Coast) in Australia.
Jayson has worked on many of the largest insolvent liquidations and restructurings of Cayman Islands and Bermuda incorporated entities (with a focus on U.S. and Asia based companies).
Jayson has appeared as lead Counsel in multiple reported cases including the prominent decisions in In re Alibaba.com Limited, In re China Agrotech Holdings Limited, In re China Lumena New Materials Corp, and In re Z-Obee Holdings Limited.
- Advising China Singyes Solar Technologies Holdings Limited in the successful Bermuda restructuring of over US$552 million outstanding bonds and convertible notes through inter-conditional parallel schemes of arrangement in Bermuda and in Hong Kong.
- Advising the former provisional liquidators of Hsin Chong Group Holdings Limited in the Bermuda restructuring of over HK$14.7 billion in outstanding notes, loans and other indebtedness in Bermuda and in Hong Kong.
- Advising Alibaba.com Limited in its US$2.5 billion acquisition, through parallel schemes of arrangement in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands, by a group of investors headed by Jack Ma.
- Advising the company and the provisional liquidators of China Agrotech Holdings Limited in the Cayman Islands restructuring of its HK$1,678 million of debt and on novel shareholder issues, resulting in a successful reverse takeover and relisting on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- Advising the provisional liquidators in relation to the Cayman Islands restructuring of over US$1 billion in debts and liabilities of China Lumena New Materials Corp through schemes of arrangement in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands.
- Advising GTL International Limited and the subsequently appointed provisional liquidators in the Bermuda restructuring of the company’s US$41 million in liabilities and the subsequent successful sale of the company’s shareholdings in its subsidiaries to an investor.
- Advising the Coordinating Committee of Lenders and Deutsche Bank in relation to Noble Group's US$3.5 billion debt restructuring in Bermuda.
- Acting as Bermuda Counsel in the US$10 billion parallel debt restructuring of Seadrill Limited in the US and Bermuda.
- Advising the Bermuda provisional liquidators in the US$1.4 billion parallel debt restructuring of C&J Energy Services Limited in the US and Bermuda.
- Advising Kaisa Group Holdings Ltd in relation to the restructuring of US$2.5 billion of offshore debts. Kaisa Group is one of the largest property developers in China and its restructuring involved schemes of arrangement in the Cayman Islands and Hong Kong, and recognition under Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- Acting for certain Club Lenders and subsequently the liquidators of a number of Pacific Andes entities connected with the high-profile US$1.6 billion debt restructuring involving multiple proceedings in the US, Hong Kong, Cayman Islands and Bermuda.
- Advising certain Lenders in relation to the restructuring of US$750 million debts and liabilities of Mongolian Mining Corporation, an entity incorporated in Cayman and listed on the HKSE, and its subsidiaries.
- Acting for a major creditor in relation to the US$745 million debt restructuring via scheme of arrangement in Bermuda of Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited.
- Advising the Lenders and subsequent Provisional Liquidators in relation to the restructuring of debts and liabilities totalling US$8.5 million of Z-Obee Holdings Limited, a HKSE-listed company.
- Advising the ad hoc bondholder group in the US$2.78 billion restructuring of LDK Solar Co. Ltd (then in provisional liquidation), a leading producer of solar wafers and manufacturer of photovoltaic products incorporated in the Cayman Islands and with manufacturing facilities in the PRC.
- Acting for the largest creditor in Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd’s US$1.1 billion provisional liquidation and debt restructuring in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising the largest creditor in the Cayman Islands restructuring of Dalian Rightway Real Estate Development Co. Ltd.’s US$446 million pre-IPO facilities.
Jayson has been ranked for his Cayman Dispute Resolution expertise.Chambers and Partners, 2020
Jayson is “a careful and experienced lawyer who delivers advice that is of a very high standard and reflects his vast experience as an insolvency lawyer and litigator”. Jayson is"incredibly affable and produces really intellectual, high-quality, stimulating opinions”.Chambers and Partners
Jayson is recognised as a “Leading Individual” in the Bermuda Dispute Resolution rankings.Legal 500, 2019
Jayson is recognised as an expert in asset recovery and restructuring & insolvency.Who's Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- University of Tasmania (LLB)