Paula Gibbs is a member of our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring group in our BVI office. Her practice focuses on complex multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes including shareholder disputes, fraud claims, insolvency proceedings and enforcement proceedings. She regularly advises on freezing injunctions and enforcement of arbitration awards.
Paula’s recent experience includes:
- Obtaining a Black Swan injunction in the BVI in support of Hong Kong proceedings
- Advising the provisional liquidators of a Cayman incorporated but Hong Kong listed company on claims against its former directors
- Appointing liquidators over a BVI company in order to enforce a HKIAC arbitration award against it
- Enforcing an LCIA Arbitration award in the BVI
- Cayman Islands share valuation litigation
- Acting for the receivers of an investment company in a priority dispute between a former director and investors
- Advising a multinational corporation in a trade practices/product liability arbitration worth EUR 1 billion
- Representing a US Investment Bank in a SIAC arbitration in relation a financial product mis-selling claim worth US$90 million
- Acting for an investor in an Bilateral Investment Treaty arbitration concerning expropriation of its investment
Prior to joining us in 2017, Paula gained wide-ranging commercial litigation and arbitration experience including ad-hoc and institutional commercial and investor-state arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA and SIAC Rules. She also gained experience in structured finance including a secondment to Deutsche Trustee Company Limited. Having studied finance for two years, she enjoys working with valuation experts on complex quantum claims in shareholders disputes.
Paula trained as a solicitor at Allen & Overy LLP in London and Singapore. In 2013, she joined the litigation team at Chapman Tripp in Auckland, New Zealand and qualified as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand in 2015 appearing as sole and junior counsel in the High Court and Court of Appeal of New Zealand.