Richard is a counsel in our Singapore office where he advises on British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands and Anguilla law. His practice focuses on banking and finance and corporate transactions.
Before joining us, Richard began his career with Clayton Utz in Australia, followed by an eight-year term as a senior associate in Allen & Overy’s London and Singapore offices. Richard has also been seconded in-house to banks in London and Singapore. Richard has extensive experience in domestic and multi-jurisdictional finance transactions throughout Asia, Europe, Australia, the Caribbean and the Americas, advising financial institutions and corporations on a wide range of corporate, credit and security issues.
Richard's recent experience includes:
- Acting for Chinese and Japanese corporates on the equity and finance aspects under Cayman and BVI law of a US$260 million management buyout of a BVI target company that ultimately owns the industry-leading Chinese financial leasing group.
- Acting for the lenders as lead counsel under a BVI law governed guaranteed and secured credit facility for the construction of a cruise ship pier and retail development in the Caribbean.
- Acting for the lenders as lead counsel under a BVI law governed unsecured credit facility for the construction of a hospital and public works facilities in the Caribbean.
- Acting for the consortium of lenders under a US$425,000,000 leveraged acquisition facility for the acquisition of a BVI target company that ultimately owns interests in an Indonesian gold and silver mine.
- Acting for the lenders in a US$90 million share-backed financing provided to a group of Cayman entities to acquire an interest in a Asia-Pacific based medical services group.
- Acting for Japanese and Singaporean entities in a Cayman joint venture relating to one of the largest sports and fashion apparel manufacturers in South East Asia, advising on both the finance and acquisition documents.
- Acting for the lenders as lead counsel in a debt and equity restructuring in Vietnam.
- Acting for an international real estate investment company in a capital raising through its issuance of a series of BVI law governed convertible loan notes.
- Acting for the lenders in a debt restructuring of a group of BVI companies relating to diamond mining in Sierra Leone.
- Acting for the arranger under a US$1.385 billion loan facility in connection with a US$3 billion reverse takeover involving the creation of a London-listed Indonesian resources giant.
- Acting for the lenders under a US$1 billion acquisition facility for the merger of the two largest supermarket chains in Russia, Perekrestok and Pyaterochka.