Indira Birkwood leads our BVI banking and finance practice in the EMEA region, based out of our London office.
She advises leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions, multinational corporations and real estate investment companies and specialises in all aspects of financing. Her particular areas of expertise include cross-border structured finance, real estate finance, emerging market debt, structured debt, asset finance, project finance, capital markets, Islamic finance and acquisition finance transactions.
Prior to joining our London office in 2008, Indira was based in our BVI office for 10 years.
Recent notable transactions:
- Acting as BVI counsel to the Issuer on the issue of US$500 million 1.875 per cent notes due 2030 issued under the US$5 billion MTN Programme unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by the Issuer's parent.
- Acting as BVI counsel to a BVI Issuer on its issue of US$750 million 2.125 per cent Guaranteed Notes due 2030 and US$250 million 2.500 per cent Guaranteed Notes issued under its US$4.5 billion MTN Programme unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by the Issuer's Hong Kong parent.
- Advising on US$500 million perpetual subordinated guaranteed capital Securities issued by a BVI company and unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by a Hong Kong company.
- Advising a consortium on its sale of a mixed-use commercial property in the City of London to a Hong-Kong-based investment holding company, for £94.2 million.
- Advising Reynolds Group Holdings Limited and Closure Systems International in connection with the BVI elements of Cerberus Capital Management’s acquisition, through an affiliate, of CSI’s North American, Costa Rican and Japanese businesses and related facilities from Reynolds Group.
- Advising an investor in energy and utility-related businesses with investments in electricity generation, transmission and distribution; renewable energy; energy from waste; gas distribution and oil transmission on the establishment of a US$2 billion Medium Term Programme (listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange) by a BVI Issuer, unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by its Hong Kong parent.
Indira has been ranked for her BVI Banking and Finance expertise. Clients say: "Indira is wonderful! She is incredibly responsive and cuts through to give very clear advice as to what is needed. I very much enjoy working with her because she delivers exactly what is needed in a very clear and easy-to-understand way." "She is responsive, helpful and commercial – she's an all-round pleasure to deal with and really feels like she becomes part of the internal team to help service the client."Chambers and Partners, 2022
Indira has been ranked for her BVI Banking and Finance expertise. "She is impressive and thorough - a very solid and reliable lawyer."Chambers and Partners, 2021
Indira has been ranked for her BVI Banking and Finance expertise. "She's responsive, knowledgeable and reliable. She's very quick, practical and solves problems."Chambers and Partners, 2020
Indira has been ranked for her BVI Banking and Finance expertise, clients say "she produces high-quality work on time. She is very responsive."Chambers and Partners, 2019
Indira is recognised as a leading individual. She "is the standout contact. Always available, responsive and thorough."Legal 500, 2021
Indira is recognised as a "leading individual".Legal 500, 2020
- Trinidad and Tobago
- British Virgin Islands
- University of the West Indies (LLB)
- University of the West Indies (BA