Expert Review – Economic sanctions: Russia, Brexit, and beyond
01 Feb 2022
Welcome to Expert Review, our latest podcast delivering bite-size opinions and analysis on global governance, regulation, and tax. Each episode will feature a guest speaker, giving listeners food for thought in a condensed and informative manner.
In this episode, Head of Regulatory Aki Corsoni-Husain, and guest expert Maya Lester KC of Brick Court Chambers, delve into the complex and fast-moving world of economic sanctions and restrictive measures. Maya regularly appears in many of the leading sanctions cases in the courts in England, Luxembourg and Strasbourg, and is the author of the hugely popular sanctions blog alongside Peters & Peters.
Click below to listen.
- Charting the differences in the practice and implementation of sanctions in the UK,and the UK Overseas Territories, following Brexit and the consequences for the financial industry. Post-Brexit, with less attention on the EU, will the UK become more focussed on sanctions roll out and compliance across the UK Overseas Territories and other territories?
- Exploring the growth of sanctions and sanctions compliance in the EU, UK and internationally. Sanctions compliance is no longer an esoteric area of law and governance, and has forcefully entered the main stage of compliance desks globally.
- Looking at whether the UK and EU will ever be on par with the US when it comes to sanctions enforcement.
- On the Russia – Ukraine crisis:
- Considering the sorts of sanctions the West is likely to roll out.
- Developments since 2014, and possible novel forms of restrictions.
- Understanding the position of Cyprus, and actions that it may or may not take.
Click here to subscribe to the Expert Review podcast. Choose your preferred platform from the list presented and click subscribe or follow once logged in.
We produce a variety of podcasts, providing on-the-go legal analysis over the airways. Visit our Podcasts page to see them all.