Joshua Mangeot is a member of our BVI transactional practice group. He regularly advises leading global law firms, businesses, financial institutions and high-net-worth individuals on British Virgin Islands law.
Prior to moving to the BVI in 2014, Josh was an associate in Slaughter and May’s tax department. He also completed a secondment at the Financial Markets Law Committee established by the Bank of England, where he gained experience in financial regulatory issues. Josh is also a Kennedy Memorial Scholar (2006-7). He has broad experience in company and partnership law, reorganisations, banking and finance, private equity funds and collective investment vehicles. Josh has a particular interest in complex cross-border transactions and has developed a specialisation advising on the implementation of the BVI economic substance requirements.
Josh’s clients “appreciate his intellect, approachable manner and pragmatic approach” and recommend him as a “hard-working, thorough and extremely competent lawyer”.
Josh's selected experience includes:
- Advising clients and other stakeholders on the implementation of the BVI economic substance requirements, including the design of the Harneys online classification solution and various working groups for BVI Finance
- Advising on BVI aspects of a complex debt-for-equity swap restructuring and subsequent disposal as part of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan
- Acting as sole BVI counsel and coordinating overseas counsel in four jurisdictions on a complex cross-border US$66 million restructuring and settlement of various secured facilities
- Acting as BVI counsel for an NYSE listed natural asset conglomerate in relation to its US$1.6 billion secured facilities
- Representing the existing owner of a hotel chain on the disposal of majority ownership (through the issue of notes convertible into 51 per cent of its shares) to create a BVI joint venture with a potential value of more than US$1.2 billion
- Advised the global private investment firm Starwood Capital Group, a leading international private equity firm, on BVI aspects of its US$250 million strategic investment in the hotel chain YOTEL
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc., which is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: ORA), on its merger with Rio Novo Gold Inc. (TSX:RN), with Aura as the surviving company
- Advising Manchester Airport Group on its £1.2 billion financing to acquire Stansted Airport
- Advising Bank of Asia on the establishment and licensing of its BVI banking business
- Advising a Swiss alternative investment manager with AUM of over US$500 million on the formation and operation of BVI close-ended investment vehicles
- Acting for a CIS natural resources operator on BVI corporate aspects of a complex fraud settlement
Josh is a member of the International Business Structuring Association (IBSA).
Joshua is recognised as a “rising star” in the British Virgin Islands Regulatory and Compliance rankings.Legal 500, 2021
Joshua is recommended as a BVI "key lawyer".Legal 500 , 2020
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- University of Law (LLB)
- Harvard University (non-degree)
- University of Cambridge, Gonville & Caius (BA)