George is a member of our Corporate and Commercial practice group. George has particular expertise working with leading law firms and private equity investors on cross-border corporate acquisitions and joint ventures with a technology or real estate element.
George joined us in 2015, having previously spent seven years in the London office of Paul Hastings, where he worked on a number of high profile corporate transactions. While there, he also undertook a secondment at JP Morgan Chase. In his current practice, George advises on all aspects of BVI corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, downstream private equity investments, joint ventures, public and private share offerings, takeovers and corporate reorganisations. He works with clients in a wide range of industry sectors across the globe.
George's recent experience includes:
- Acting as BVI legal counsel on the January 2016 merger of third-party logistics companies UTi Worldwide Inc and DSV, at $1.2 billion one of the largest takeovers of a publicly listed BVI company.
- Advising a BVI incorporated e-commerce firm on its sale for approximately $600 million.
- Representing the existing owner of a hotel chain on the disposal of majority ownership (through the issue of notes convertible into 51% of its shares) to create a BVI joint venture with a potential value of more than $1.2 billion.
- Advised the global private investment firm Starwood Capital Group, a leading international private equity firm, on BVI aspects of its US$250 million strategic investment in the hotel chain YOTEL.
- Advising LeniGas Cuba Limited on its reverse takeover of Knowlton Capital Inc by way of a BVI scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Road Town Wholesale Trading Ltd, a BVI-based retail and wholesale conglomerate, on the acquisition of 76.1 per cent of its issued shares by a wholly owned subsidiary of The North West Company Inc for a purchase price of approximately $32 million. The deal is believed to be the largest-ever M&A transaction involving a company operating and trading domestically in the BVI.
- Representing an investor on a series of portfolio investments and divestments of UK property held through BVI companies and related financing arrangements for a total value of more than GBP 200 million.
- Advised Hyatt Hotels Corporation, the internationally renowned hotel chain in relation to the acquisition of preferred shares (and related joint venture arrangements) in a BVI company owning a major hotel and resort in Latin America in a transaction valued at more than $100 million.
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- College of Law of England & Wales (LPC)
- Southampton Solent University (Graduate Diploma in Law)
- University of Southampton (BA)
George is ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer in the British Virgin Islands.Legal 500