Katherine McMenamin is a senior associate in our Litigation & Insolvency and Restructuring team in our Hong Kong office. Prior to joining us in 2021, she worked at top tier international firms in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Katherine has extensive experience acting for multinational corporations, financial institutions, private equity investors, and insolvency office holders on a broad range of cross-border, commercial disputes, restructuring and insolvency proceedings in Asia.
She specialises in contentious and non-contentious restructuring and formal insolvency matters, with a focus on distressed investments and bond defaults. Katherine’s experience includes advising on the following representative matters:
- Ad-hoc group of bondholders on the rescheduling of US$197 million offshore bonds (SGX listed) issued by Videocon Industries Limited and related corporate restructuring and insolvency proceedings in India under the Indian Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (2016).
- Ad-hoc group of bondholders in respect of defaults under US$500 million offshore bonds due 2020 issued by China Shanshui Cement Group Ltd, a Hong Kong listed company, and wider shareholder litigation in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and the PRC.
- Lenders holding US$500 million of US$1.7 billion debt owed by the Pacific Andes Group of companies, one of the world’s largest producers of fishmeal and fish oil, in connection with contested winding-up and bankruptcy proceedings in Hong Kong, Singapore and the US (with connected proceedings in the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, BVI and Peru).
- Liquidators appointed in respect of Lehman Brothers Asia Limited (in liquidation), Lehman Brothers Securities Asia Limited (in liquidation), and Lehman Brother Futures Asia Limited (in liquidation) on the close-out of the liquidation proceedings and the implementation of three schemes of arrangement.
- Independent directors of certain investee companies in Holland, Germany and Israel appointed as an interim measure by the High Court of Hong Kong pending the resolution of two ICC arbitrations in Hong Kong and relating to a dispute over the beneficial ownership of the underlying assets of a private equity fund (incorporated in the Cayman Islands and operating in London, Hong Kong and Shanghai) with an aggregate value of approximately US$1.4 billion.
- A secured financial creditor of Essar Steel India Limited in respect of corporate restructuring and insolvency proceedings before the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal under the Indian Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (2016) and appeal proceedings in the Supreme Court of India.