Theodoros Zafiropoulos is a partner in our Banking and Finance practice in our Cyprus office. He regularly acts for multilateral financial institutions, international and domestic banks, private equity funds and corporate borrowers in banking and corporate finance matters.
Prior to joining us in 2017, Theodoros worked at Norton Rose Fulbright in London, Moscow, Amsterdam (on secondment with ING Bank working on the front desk of its oil and gas desk for Europe and the CIS) and Athens. He has extensive experience working with financial institutions and borrowers on restructuring and work-out arrangements, group refinancing transactions and monitoring problem loans. Theodoros also specialises in project finance and energy, advising international oil and gas companies, governments, national oil companies and lenders on major energy transactions. Theodoros also advises on intellectual property law in Cyprus.
Theodoros is a member of the International Bar Association, the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators and the Hellenic Russian Chamber of Commerce, where he previously served on the board of directors before relocating to Cyprus.
Theodoros’ recent experience includes:
- Advising the Consortium on the tender process relating to a concession to be granted to investors for the redevelopment, renovation and operation of the Larnaca Port and Marina, the country’s second busiest port and, subsequently, on the direct negotiations with the Republic of Cyprus to agree and finalise the concession agreement. The Project is one of the most important infrastructure projects on the island which expects to see the Consortium invest around €1.2 billion in the project.
- Providing Cypriot law advice on the due diligence and assisting with the sale and transfer of three Cypriot entities and the underlying assets of Wargaming Group to Moon Active Ltd. Moon Active Ltd., develops one of the world's most popular mobile games, Coin Master.
- Acting as Cypriot law counsel for the sponsors (including PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited and its Cyprus-based subsidiaries) in connection with all Cyprus law matters relating to the financing of the USD$20 billion Mozambique LNG Project.
- Acting as Cypriot counsel to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), a global investment group, and AMP Capital (AMP), a global investment manager, on a 450 million financing (that may be further increased through an accordion feature for an additional of €325 million) in secured notes issued by affiliates of Phoenix Tower International.
- Acting for EBRD on a complex €21.5 million equity investment whereby EBRD is acquiring a 35 per cent shareholding in a Cypriot company (the JV) which in turn will acquire and develop commercial real estate and hospitality projects in Greece. Work covers all Cyprus law matters relating to: (a) the JV arrangements with Dimand S.A, a prominent real estate developer in Greece and Romania; (b) the subscription and equity contribution by EBRD to the JV; and (c) the due diligence and issue of a red flag report on the JV and three more separate Cypriot entities.
- Acting for Black Sea Trade & Development Bank on a €10 million financing to a Cypriot entity, including undertaking a corporate due diligence exercise on the Cypriot borrower.
Theodoros is described by clients as "a dedicated lawyer, commercial, efficient and very easy to work with." He "is always very responsive and his comments have been insightful and helpful."Legal 500, 2021
Theodoros has the "ability to understand Russian business and to match it with the demands of Western clients."Chambers Global
Theodoros is ranked as a “rising star”.IFLR 1000, 2020
Theodoros is a recommended lawyer.The Best Lawyers in Russia
- England and Wales (not practising)
- University of Warwick (LLM)
- University of Athens (LLB)