Vicky Lord is the managing partner of our Shanghai offering in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and is a highly regarded litigator in cross-border commercial cases in the British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands. As head of our Shanghai Litigation, Restructuring and Insolvency team, she obtains significant wins for clients acting as a litigator in ultra-high-value, high-profile BVI and Cayman commercial disputes with cross-border elements.
Vicky often acts as a specialist BVI and Cayman litigation co-counsel for PRC and US listed companies for IPOs in contentious scenarios. She has a wealth of experience in Cayman Islands s238 privatisations and BVI take-privates, as well as schemes of arrangements, acting company side to secure wins for clients. She has a proven track record of significant wins in shareholder and board-room disputes for new economy and tech companies, acting both company side and for shareholders and directors alike.
Vicky is an experienced advocate, ranging from insolvency and distressed hedge fund litigation to shareholder disputes. She has appeared in the highest offshore court at appellate level, before the Privy Council in London and acts as advocate, supporting on-shore firms, in English language arbitrations in the PRC. Vicky’s client base includes some of the world's top financial institutions, blue-chip listed companies and ultra-high net worth individuals.
Vicky is listed as a next generation lawyer for offshore in Legal 500, an asset recovery specialist and Thought Leader in Who's Who Legal and has been recognised by China Business Law Journal in their prestigious A-List 2020 as one of China’s Elite 100 Lawyers (Foreign firm). Vicky also won Deal of the Year 2020 Awards from China Business Law Journal for her work leading Wang Jing’s case against WeRide in Cayman.
Vicky has played an instrumental role advising on a number of shareholder disputes, insolvency, enforcement and commercial litigation matters, including the following recent examples:
- Lead partner for Trina Solar Limited in s238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Lead partner for JA Solar Holdings in s238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Lead partner acting against WeRide in a Cayman Islands dispute brought by Jing Wang, AI Leader formerly of Baidu.
- Lead partner in an ancillary BVI proceeding to a £750 million United Kingdom claim.
- Lead partner for PwC, as joint provisional liquidators of Natural Dairy, a Hong Kong listed Cayman company in relation to a multi-million dollar fraud dispute.
- Acting as lead partner in a US$1.5 billion multi-jurisdictional fraud against BVI and PRC companies.
- Acting as lead partner in a US$500 million fraud and asset tracing exercise for a Fortune 500 company.
- Acting on behalf of creditors in relation to an application to wind up Wise Global Limited.
- Acting for a consortium of investors, including Deutsche Bank and ABN AMRO, on the US$1.45 billion Fairfield Sentry litigation stemming from the Madoff fraud and successfully resisting BVI claims.
- Successfully assisting Singaporean foreign representatives to obtain advance disclosure for a wide-ranging asset tracing in a fraud.
- Acting on successful enforcements in the BVI of numerous awards from various arbitral institutions.
- Advising a major Russian energy company with respect to the enforcement of an arbitral award.
- Acting as an expert witness in arbitration proceedings in relation to BVI law.
Vicky also has considerable experience advising on contentious trusts matters, including:
- Lead partner in a highly contentious trusts disclosure claim in BVI: Tchenguiz v Rawlinson & Hunter as Trustee of the Tchenguiz Family Trust & Anor.
- Acting as the sole advocate in a successful application for restoration of trust property for a Russian oligarch.
- Acting for the wife and family with regard to a dispute concerning entitlement under a BVI Trust.
- Acting for a Cayman Trustee in various Beddoe applications.
- Successfully acting for a Latin American heiress in a contentious probate and trust claim.
Vicky is a foreign registered lawyer in the PRC. As a barrister, Vicky is a member of the Chancery Bar Association. She is also a specially invited foreign registered lawyer member of the Shanghai Bar Association.
She is equally at home advising and presenting cases in Spanish and has a good level of Portuguese, French and Italian comprehension.
Vicky has been recognised by Asian Legal Business in its annual list of Asia’s Top Offshore Litigators.Asian Legal Business, 2021
Vicky is named in the A-List of China’s Elite 100 lawyers (Foreign firms).China Business Law Journal, 2020
Vicky has been recognised as a next generation BVI lawyer.Legal 500
Vicky is recognised as an expert in asset recovery.Who's Who Legal, 2018, 2019, 2020
Vicky is recognised as a GIR "thought leader".Who’s Who Legal, 2019, 2020
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course)
- University College London (LLB)