Data protection & privacy
Our dedicated Data Protection & Privacy team offers specialist expertise required to navigate the complexities of the data protection and data privacy laws. We pride ourselves on providing bespoke and practical solutions to data protection compliance.
Clients choose us because our structured and dedicated personnel drive efficiencies into the data protection compliance process, allowing us to offer tailored and cost-effective services. Our privacy practice advises on all aspects of data protection law in Cyprus and the BVI.
The Harneys privacy practice in Cyprus has acquired over the years a wide and versatile experience in privacy and data protection matters and in particular the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including, but not limited, to the following:
The Harneys privacy practice in the BVI offers advice on compliance with the recently introduced Data Protection Act, 2021, including the following services, amongst other data protection services:
Key highlights from recent work:
- Working on an ongoing basis with a developer, owner and operator of casino gaming and entertainment casino resort facilities in Asia listed on NASDAQ to assist with the GDPR compliance of their Cyprus operations, this being their first foray in Europe.
- Working with one of the largest factories in Cyprus to assist with the GDPR compliance of their operations.
- Working with one of the largest children’s medical centres in Cyprus for the implementation of their GDPR compliance programme.
- Working with a global real estate firm with a CIS focus based in Cyprus on the compliance of all their operations with GDPR, with a particular focus on the structure and compliance of their international marketing activities.
- Advising a prominent financial services innovation firm on the data protection aspects of an information request by a third country regulator.
- Providing support to litigation proceedings on data protection considerations of third country disclosure orders.
- Advising international outfits with headquarters in Cyprus in relation to the relevance of GDPR to their non-EU operations.
- Assisting offshore funds, fund administrators and fund managers in relation to the relevance of GDPR to their operations, and working with them to implement necessary GDPR compliance procedures.
- Acting as incident response counsel in Cyprus for a number of global financial institutions, in cooperation with UK law firms.
- Advising clients on the data protection considerations of their anti-money laundering compliance programmes.
- Advising on applicable privacy and data protection considerations in connection with a number of high profile banking acquisitions in Cyprus.
- Advising a global, multi-billion dollar medical device company on an Intra-Group Transfer Agreement, involving a BVI entity and BVI data transfers, to ensure compliance with the BVI Data Protection Act, 2021.
- Drafting data protection policies and privacy notices for a number of BVI entities, including businesses in the financial services industry, private island resorts, and a cybersecurity firm.
- Building robust data protection clauses for contracts of employment and consultancy agreements for a range of organisations, of varying sizes and sectors.