Paula Kay is a partner and the Head of Litigation Asia. Her practice focusses on high value, multi-jurisdictional shareholder disputes in offshore companies listed in Hong Kong or the US. She is a member of Harneys Listco Dispute Unit. Her practice includes unfair prejudice claims, oppression claims and just & equitable windings up, as well as dissenting shareholder claims following “take-privates”. She regularly advises upon and attends contentious EGMs for both listed and non-listed companies. She also has particular expertise in obtaining freezing injunctions simultaneously across jurisdictions, working with large legal teams, often including multiple QCs.
Paula’s recent experience includes:
- Advising Convoy Global Holdings Limited in its shareholder dispute and related proceedings.
- Obtaining Black Swan injunction in the BVI in support of HK proceedings.
- Advising Homeinns Hotel Group, Mindray, Qihoo 360, Qunar Cayman Islands and JA Solar Holdings in s.238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting in the High Court and Court of Appeal for the claimant in Ming Siu, Hung, Ronald et al v J.F. Ming Inc. and Ming Shui Sum, Lawrence BVIHCMAP 2016/0039, a high value unfair prejudice claim seeking a buy-out order. The case is presently awaiting a listing in the Privy Council in London.
Before joining us, Paula gained extensive litigation experience working in litigation practices in international law firms in Australia and London for over nine years. She advised companies in the financial services industry in relation to proceedings against banks, directors and officers, accountants and other professionals. Paula is also admitted as a solicitor in the BVI, England and Wales and Queensland.
Paula has been recognised by Asian Legal Business in its annual list of Asia’s Top Offshore Litigators.Asian Legal Business, 2021
- Queensland, Australia
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- University of Queensland (Diploma of Practical Legal Education and Training)
- Queensland University of Technology (LLB)
- Queensland University of Technology (BBus (Acc))