Maggie Kwok is the head of our Funds and Regulatory practice group in Asia. She has a broad range of experience spanning from fund formation, downstream investments, capital markets, and corporate finance.
Maggie's practice has a particular focus on formation, structuring and maintenance of various types of open ended and close ended funds including hedge funds, private equity funds, and cryptocurrency funds. She works extensively with fund and asset managers, banks, fund administrators, custodians, family offices, and investors.
Maggie's fluency in the Chinese language (both Putonghua and Cantonese), familiarity with both the Western and Chinese business etiquette and culture, along with her solid training with leading onshore and offshore firms, allow her to tailor her services to meet the needs of clients in this region.
Prior to joining the offshore world in 2010, Maggie practised for several years as a Hong Kong lawyer at international law firms.
Some of Maggie’s recent experience includes:
Part A – Fund formation counsel
- Launch of funds totaling a US$4 billion for a leading PRC state-owned insurance group to invest in European and G7 countries-focused infrastructure projects (such as the fiber optics industry), swap agreements concerning notes issued by listed issuers, and the projects in the Japan-based logistics sector, with some of the underlying funds managed by Global Infrastructure Partners, Macquarie Bank and KKR.
- Launch of a US$1 billion fund for a Greater China based asset manager to invest in bonds issued by the Agricultural Development Bank of China via an index established for the purposes of tracking such bonds. This was the Hong Kong Stock Exchange’s first retail bond offering through the CCASS by a non-government issuer.
- Advised T Capital Partners on the launch of its US$780,000,000 sixth mid-size mid-cap Japan buyout fund, T Capital VI Limited Partnership (the Fund). Harneys assisted with the formation of two Cayman Islands feeder vehicles for the Fund, each structured as Cayman Islands exempted limited partnerships. The Fund will make private equity investments in mid-cap Japanese companies.
- Advised GLY Capital Management on the launch of its US$300,000,000 Future of Mobility Fund. The Future of Mobility Fund is a transport and technology fund focusing on investments into innovative mid-to-late-stage growth companies within the transportation industry. The fund has already secured US$60 million from China car manufacturer, Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, and South Korean conglomerate, SK Holdings.
- Launch of a €500 million unit trust fund for a top PRC asset manager with some of the top five banking and financial groups in South Korea as investors.
- Launch of a US$700 million fund for a leading PRC bank which funded the purchase of a gaming company by Tencent from Softbank.
- Launch of a US$660 million fund for a Japan asset management that focuses on small to mid-cap companies in Japan.
- Launch of a US$350 million aircraft leasing fund managed by a leading Japanese financial institution. Investors included the financial leasing arm of a leading PRC state-owned insurance group.
- Advised Ping An Overseas Holdings on its US$680,000,000 private credit secondaries transaction. Globally, the deal is the largest private credit secondary transaction to date.
- Launch of a US$300 million container vessel purchase and leasing fund for a PRC state-owned aviation and shipping leading specialist.
- Launch of a US$300 million fund for one of the largest PRC state-owned banks. The fund is co-managed by the PRC bank and a sovereign wealth fund in Oman focusing on the healthcare, information and communications technology, new energy, consumption and logistics sectors.
- Launch of a US$200 million PE fund-of-funds for one of the largest Korea state-owned banks for its group’s institutional investors as a “tester” fund.
- Launch of a US$200 million fund for a leading PRC state-owned insurance group. The fund will invest in Japanese based logistics companies. One of the cornerstone investors in the fund is a prominent Japan state-owned banking corporation.
- Launch of a US$150 million fund for Base Capital, an ANT financial-backed VC firm targeting early-stage start-ups from India and Southeast Asia. The fund focuses on early stage investments in crypto businesses in India, Middle East and Southeast Asia.
- Launch of fund for Essence International Securities. The fund participated in the privatisation of Highpower International Inc. listed on NASDAQ which engages in the business of manufacturing, marketing and sales of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries for both consumer and industrial applications and Lithiumion and Lithium polymer rechargeable batteries for higher-reach, high performance applications.
- Launch of a US$100 million fund for a Singapore based manager to invest into the major crypto currencies.
Part B – Investor counsel
- Acted for a Macau based institutional investor into a US$2 billion fund set up by the Macau government. The fund focuses on infrastructure, resource development, capacity cooperation and financial cooperation with a focus on industries such as technology, finance, and social services that contribute to the transformation of Macau's economic development.
- Acted for a Macau based institutional investor into a US$1 billion fund set up by the Macau government to advance the “One Belt, One Road” initiative of the PRC government. The fund uses a multijurisdictional investment strategy consisting of making capital investments in China, south-east Asia and other Portuguese speaking countries.
- Acted for New China Life in their investment in a high profile fund backed by PRC institutional investors. The fund was setup primarily to invest in industry-leading businesses mainly in Germany, German speaking countries and regions and the Nordic countries with a primary emphasis on buyout and structured transaction opportunities.
- Acted for a top 5 largest PRC asset management company into a US$300 million energy fund co-managed by this client along with another PRC state-owned enterprise. The initial target is a European based company specialising in RF power products.
- Acted for a leading PRC medical research group into a Boston-based biotech company focused on transforming human health through products that restore ammonia-oxidizing bacteria.
Maggie is recognised as one of the top ten offshore lawyers operating in Asia in the ALB’s Offshore Client Choice List.- Asian Legal Business, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Maggie is ranked as "highly regarded" in IFLR1000 (2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 editions).
- New Zealand
- New South Wales
- Hong Kong (not practising)
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- The University of Auckland (BCom/LLB Conjoint)