Paul Sephton is co-head of our global Banking & Finance and Corporate groups and head of our transactional team in Asia. He advises leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions and listed and private companies.
Before joining us, Paul worked as counsel in the finance team of Walkers’ Hong Kong office. He also worked at Allen & Overy in London before moving to Linklaters in Hong Kong. During that time, Paul undertook secondments with Barclays' legal team in London and with Standard Chartered’s leveraged finance team in Hong Kong. In his current practice, Paul specialises in debt finance advising on a range of financial products, including leveraged finance, margin lending, acquisition finance, pre-IPO finance, take-private transactions, bond issuances, convertible instruments, derivative transactions, property finance and syndicated lending.
Paul's recent experience includes:
- Advising Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Shanghai Branch on BVI and Cayman Islands law in relation to secured term loan facilities up to an aggregate amount of US$3.8 billion for the acquisition and privatisation of a NYSE listed company, 58.com. This transaction won the Finance Deal of the Year 2021 at the Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to Deutsche Bank AG on the facility, purpose of which is to refinance an existing facility and for on-lending an intercompany loan for general corporate purposes. The security package includes both onshore and offshore security documents, whereby certain constitutional documents of the BVI security provider has to be notarised and legalised (on which Harneys also assists) before the underlying onshore security interests become valid under the PRC laws upon registration. (August 2021)
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to the CS team on the facility, purpose of which is to refinance an existing facility sharing an identical deal structure. To guarantee the liabilities of the Borrower under the Facility Agreement, corporate guarantee was granted by the Cayman parent of the Borrower and also 24 of the Borrower’s BVI subsidiaries. The security package also involves accession to an intercreditor agreement with an existing pool of shared securities (including share mortgages in respect of the BVI subsidiary guarantors), and a BVI minority borrower share mortgage. (July 2021)
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to the Taipei Fubon team on the multi-tranche facility, purpose of which is to (i) finance consideration for the acquisition of a Hong Kong property-holding company and to (ii) refinance existing Fubon facilities. The common security package includes share charges in respect of the 2 BVI borrowers, one of which is entered into by a Cayman LP (through its general partner) and an assignment and subordination deed of all the shareholder and intra-group loans advanced to the 2 BVI borrowers and the BVI guarantor. (July 2021)
- Advising Deutsche Bank in relation to the financing of Key Safety Systems’ US$1.6 billion acquisition of Takata Corporation, a Japanese air-bag maker
- Advising US private equity firm, Warburg Pincus, in relation to their investment, via a tranche of US dollar financing, in the Chinese payment giant Ant Financial
- Advising on Studio City Company Limited’s Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering of senior secured notes due 2019 and senior secured notes due 2021, and its super senior revolving credit facility. The deal was named High Yield Deal of The Year at the IFLR Asia Awards in 2017
- Advising Deutsche Bank on its financing to Intime International Holdings Limited in relation to the joint acquisition (by way of Cayman scheme of arrangement) with Alibaba for Intime Retail (Group) Company Limited
- Advising Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited on the US$1 billion financing to Melco Investment Resources Limited in relation to the purchase of certain shares in Melco Crown Entertainment Limited
- Advising the joint lead managers on Yuzhou Properties’ series of High Yield Bond Offerings
- Advising CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. on its loan facility to Bain Capital Rise Education Limited
- Advising Morgan Stanley on its loan facility to Bain Capital VXI Cayman Ltd
- Advising Yuzhou on its US$300million issuance of 7.85 per cent green notes and concurrent tender offer
Paul is ranked as a “leading individual” and is described as "very experienced".Legal 500, 2021
Paul is recognised as an “Up and Coming” lawyer. He is praised for being "highly responsive and able to get deals done." "He has a wealth of knowledge of BVI, Cayman and Bermudian law and you never have to second-guess his analysis or his advice."Chambers and Partners, 2019
Paul is ranked as "highly regarded".IFLR1000, 2020
Paul is ranked a “leading individual”. He is “technically strong and responsive” and is noted, in particular, for his “ability to handle complicated matters” in the finance space, including as it relates to leveraged finance, margin lending, take-private transactions, bond issuances, derivative transactions, and syndicated lending.Legal 500, 2020
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- Nottingham Law School
- Leicester (LLB)