Nick Hoffman is the managing partner and head of our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring group in the Cayman Islands. He specialises in insolvency and restructuring, financial services litigation, company disputes and fraud. His clients include banks, multinational corporations and financial services professionals.
He has practised in the Cayman Islands since 2011 and is recognised as a leading Cayman litigator. Prior to joining us, he led the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group at another Cayman offshore law firm. He is a highly skilled and experienced advocate with more than a decade at the London Bar. He is known for his insight and knowledge and provides clients with pragmatic and commercial advice.
Nick has appeared as both leading and junior counsel at all levels of the Cayman Court system, from Grand Court to the Privy Council.
His recent experience includes:
- Acting and advising on number appraisal valuation matters, including the largest by value to come before the Cayman courts as well as obtaining a landmark first instance judgment on behalf of one of the world’s largest producers of solar panels.
- Acting for AIG/Lexington in the winding up of Cayman Islands segregated portfolio companies.
- Appearing, acting and advising Rubicon Vantage International by successfully prosecuting winding up proceedings both at first instance and before the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal.
- Acting and advising SkyBridge funds in relating to disputes arising from various investments in Cayman Islands vehicles.
- Acting for CNO Financial Group, in the long running liquidation of Platinum Partners Vantage Arbitrage Fund LP (Platinum Master Fund).
- Acting in Cayman proceedings for Oi S.A., in judicial reorganisation (a debtor-in-possession restructuring, equivalent to Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US) in Brazil.
Nick has been ranked for his Cayman Dispute Resolution expertise. Sources say "he is extremely adaptable and astute," adding "he's an excellent advocate who's on top of his game."Chambers and Partners, 2021
Nick is recognised as a “leading individual”. A source said he is "a smart, energetic lawyer who gives clear and decisive advice. He is able to handle challenging, fast-moving situations with real skill, and he is a well prepared and persuasive advocate".Legal 500, 2020, 2021
Nick is recognised as a GIR "thought leader" and an expert in asset recovery.Who's Who Legal, 2020
Nick has been ranked for his Cayman Dispute Resolution expertise. Sources say he is a "very good advocate" and a "go-to" in the market.Chambers and Partners, 2020
Nick is noted by Chambers as an “up and coming” lawyer. Sources say he is "an excellent strategist on complex litigation matters."Chambers and Partners, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- Cayman Islands
- University of Sussex – (MA and BA, Hons)